Saturday, April 11, 2009

Vancouver Fit - Change your life

Vancouver/Portland Fit started last week. Trevor and I are assistant coaches in Vancouver, but we went down on Saturday to help out in Portland. There were over 800 people pre-registered for this season, about 700 of them in Portland. The other 100 or so come to Vancouver. I can tell you this - Saturday morning, 7 am in Portland WAS COLD. Like the coldest I have been in a long time. Trevor was shaking and I think his lips turned a color purple I haven't really ever seen!! Sunday was a bit warmer or perhaps we were just more prepared. I wore two pairs of pants and 4 shirts!

It was pretty exciting to see all these people, taking the first step towards a new life. Most of the new members had not run more than 3 miles, so to think of running or walking 26.2 miles in October is overwhelming. We've done this program before and as the weeks go on, the group gets smaller.

Trevor and I have both made it all the way through the program. From our experience, the secret to success is committing. Making the committment is the secret to completing 26 weeks of training and the marathon. Making the committment and following the program. It is a no brainer - just do what you are told! The program is all layed out for you - you look at the schedule and go do what it says.

Of course you have to take care of your body - get enough rest, eat right, be safe out on the road - but really, anyone can do it. ANYONE.

We looked out at all the faces in the crowd and wondered who had committed and who was leaving themselves an out. As with anything in life, if you give yourself an out, most of the time - you'll take it. If you say "I'll do this as long as I have the time" or "I'll do the long runs on the weekends I don't have other plans", you will never finish. There has to be no doubt. You have to say "I'll make the time", "I'll do the long runs, no matter what else I have going on". For example - the year we were training for the marathon, we took a motorcyle trip to Sturgis, South Dakota. With the limited space for clothes, we managed to pack in our running gear - this included a pair of Trevor's size 14 running shoes. Why? Because we had committed and when you committ - anything is possible.

When you commit, you can do anything. That is when your life changes. That is when you realize there is nothing you can't do - as long as you decided to do it.

So, the question is this...What are you going to commit to? If its running a marathon - get your butt to Beaches Restaurant on Sunday morning or ConWay in NW Portland on Saturday morning. Check out the schedule at www.Portlandfit.com and as they say "Change your life"

No comments:

Post a Comment